Parents Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
Be It Resolved: That the following Parent’s Bill of Rights and Responsibilities be adopted to promote increased understanding and cooperation between home and school.
Every Parent in Philadelphia has the right to:
- Be treated with courtesy by all members of the School Staff.
- Be respected as an individual regardless of race, creed, national origin, economic status, sex or age.
- Be informed of the academic standards of any school program.
- Participate in meaningful Parent-Teacher Conferences to discuss his or her child’s school progress and welfare when the need arises.
- Be informed of school policies and administrative decisions.
- Be informed of approved procedures for seeking changes in school policies and for appealing administrative decisions.
- Inspect his or her child’s cumulative records, and remove or correct any false or misleading statements, in conformity with current guidelines established by the State and Federal Governments.
- Be informed of all programs in Special Education
- Appeal the placement, in accordance with established guidelines, of his or her child in a Special Education Class.
- Secure as much help as available from the School District, to further the progress and improvement of his her child.
- Expect that every attempt will be made by school personnel to insure the receipt by parents of important school news and messages.
- Be informed of the role of the school family in the selection procedures of administrators as approved by the School District.
- Reasonable protection for his or her child from harm while under school authority.
- Organize and participate in organizations for parents only.
- Be informed of educational and cultural programs available to public school children in Philadelphia.
Every Parent in Philadelphia has the responsibility to:
- Make every effort to provide for the physical needs of the child.
- Strive to prepare the child emotionally and socially, to make him/her receptive to learning and discipline.
- Strive to have your child attend school regularly and on time.
- Encourage and lead your child to develop proper study habits at home.
- Know school requirements and procedures.
- Speak up to prevent misunderstandings.
- Discuss problems with appropriate persons.
- Work for the success and improvement of the school program.
The Philadelphia Home and School Council
440 N. Broad Street, Room 115
Philadelphia, PA 19130-4015
Office 215.400.4080 Fax 215.400.4081