These signs were posted on Smick St. between Fountain and Hermitage.
Due to the weather, we will be cancelling the Kindergarten Meet up scheduled for Wednesday September 6, 2017 at Gorgas Park.
We are very sorry for the lack of updates lately! Things have been hectic for some of our Home & School board and we’ve relied solely on Facebook to update parents on events and things happening in school.
Please feel free to check us out there while we work out our WordPress kinks here! =)
Dobson friends and families, here is a link to a fun event happening in our area!
Friends in Pink (formerly Friends Helping Friends with Breast Cancer) is a 501(C)(3) nonprofit group that was formed in 2009 and is committed to raising funds for those who have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer in the Roxborough Manayunk Community. Our mission is to assist with unexpected medical costs, copay’s, activities of daily living, transportation costs and other unexpected expenses that people have to deal with when coping with this diagnosis. All money raised stays in our community for those who live in 19127 and 19128.
The members of James Dobson’s Home & School would like to give Ms. Melisa Wolfson a very warm welcome! Ms. Wolfson is joining our pod this year as Dobson’s new Sixth Grade teacher! Her list can be found with the other classes, listed under the ‘Classroom Supplies’ header.
Dear 6th Grade Students and Families:
My name is Melisa Wolfson, the new 6th grade teacher. I am so excited to be joining the Dobson “Pod”. This is my eighth year teaching in the School District of Philadelphia. Prior to becoming an educator, I was an Entrepreneur and small business owner, Adjunct Professor at Temple University and Marketing Director for a record label.
I enjoy learning new things, spending time at the beach and riding my motorcycle. I am a local resident of Manayunk, so you might see me in the neighborhood walking my dog Sophie.
I look forward to meeting you in September!
Dobson families and friends, those of us on the executive Board of James Dobson’s Home and School Association hope you have started off your summer on a great note! Supply Lists will be updated as they are sent to us. As it gets closer to the beginning of the school year, we will be posting about important events and dates so you have a chance to be prepared.
Thank you for your patience and we look forward to having a fantastic school year! Stay cool!
As many of you know, the streets immediately surrounding Dobson have been under construction for quite some time. Dr. Cruice had a meeting with the crews today and was informed that their work will not be finished by September 8th, the start of school. Please see her message below about how this will impact transportation, AM and PM drop off as well as Dobson’s plan go continue to “make it work” despite the construction!
- Hermitage St (East side of school) will be made ‘passable’ with the use of ‘binder’ material. ALL students will use this entrance (Wright St.- on the west side of school- will be closed and blocked to traffic). There will be two travel lanes on this street- one for the buses to park and one for the car driving parents that are dropping off children. Contractor will post temporary NO PARKING signs and the contractor will place barrels, at the end of each work day, to dissuade overnight parking.
- Wright Street work should take 5 weeks, weather depending, to be restored completely. This work will also include that portion of Smick Street that connects to Wright St.
- Wright St. work will include the construction of a ‘footway’ that will enable pedestrians to enter the schoolyard.
- Once Wright St. work is complete (or nearing completion), this group will convene to assess progress.
- Once Wright St. work is complete, traffic to Hermitage St.-on the east side of school- will be closed and blocked to traffic. There will be two travel lanes created on Wright Street- one for the buses to park and one for the car driving parents that are dropping off children. Contractor will post temporary NO PARKING signs and the contractor will place barrels, at the end of each work day, to dissuade overnight parking.
- Hermitage St..-on the east side of school- work should take 4 weeks, weather depending, to be restored completely.
- The part of Hermitage St that ascends to meet Ridge Ave will be the next area of focus and construction work. At the time, buses will need to be diverted to Fountain Ave, with a turn onto Smick St to come to the school.
We are going to do everything in our power to make sure that AM and PM Drop off run smoothly. Check the Dobson Facebook Page and the H&S website for details and updates.
Dr. Cruice, Principal